Saturday, June 6, 2009

On the Importance of Studying English



I can still vividly recall the first question my English Communication Skill (ECS) teacher asked our class nearly a decade ago: Is it really necessary to study the English language? The question would have been simple if not followed by a bigger inquiry in the form of “why?”

During that time, I was contemplating on choosing no as a kind of making a difference from those who have previously answered yes. And yes, I did. With seemingly no remorse and reservation, I answered no in an emphatic voice.

“No?” my teacher inquired, “Why?” sounding as if everything was scripted.

“Because English is just a status symbol? People are studying it just so they may be called sosyal, elite – and be part of the alta sociedad?” (Yes, there was hyphenation in speaking.)

My professor gave out a tiny little smile with her eyebrows almost getting out of shape and turning into a straight vertical line. Upon seeing her reaction, or more aptly her transformation, I almost immediately wanted to repeat the last words of my sentences -- symbol? Alta sociedad? – and say to may professor: “Mam, have you noticed my intonation – my statements were questions.” But I was not able to say the words anymore. The universe had conspired to my advantage and sent a bell to save me. And thus, I was saved by the bell indeed – literally. Our school bell rang signifying the end of the class session. “Whoa, that was pretty close,” I told myself.

The next day, we were unable to get back to the topic, either because we needed to discuss another more sensible topic (more significant than our reasons why we were studying it), or because our teacher had forgotten it, or our teacher had forgotten it because we needed to discuss another more sensible topic that is more significant than our reasons why we were studying it. Yeah, right. Whatever the reason was, I never knew what it was. But the question remained in my mind: Why do we really need to study the language?

David Crystal (1994), in his book The Cambridge Encyclopedia of the English Language, gave out six relevant reasons to study the language: It is fascinating, important, fun, beautiful, and useful – and because it is there. I actually feel that these reasons are weak though and, thus, may still be insufficient to motivate Filipino students to study English.

English has been part of our identity as Filipinos since it reached our shores over a hundred years ago. It is our second language, a medium of teaching instruction, and the language of communication media. Not to mention that textbooks, standardized board exams, interviews, and computer instructions are most often expressed in English.

No wonder why students’ performance in other academic subjects are directly proportional and highly related to their English communication skills. Students taking up any collegiate courses (e.g. Education, Nursing, Accountancy, and Engineering) would have difficulty excelling in their field in the absence of competitive English skills. And worst, their future duties as the country’s professionals might be compromised due to inadequate English proficiency.

However, having the awareness that studying English is not enough. Getting motivated by it is more important. The knowledge may have been well impressed long before into the students’ minds, but not the enthusiasm, the conviction, and the determination to study the language independently.

That, I think, is the bigger challenge for all us: Find in ourselves the will to excel in English in preparation for a more challenging academic life in the future.

Why do you think is the mastery of English skills necessary in your current course, studies, or job?

Reference:

Crystal, D. (1994). The Cambridge Encyclopedia of the English Language. Cambridge: Cambridge University Press.

Reblog this post [with Zemanta]

No comments:

Post a Comment